Household Management

Do you consider yourself a household manager?  Do you go groceries shopping, run errands or take messages?  Then at least some of your job description is a "household manager's job.  Check out the start of a great series from Regarding Nannies on Household Managing 101.

By Kellie Geres, Regarding Nannies Development Team

Today starts a new series on Regarding Nannies. I will be introducing you to the wonderful world of Household Management.  I have been a nanny for almost 23 years.  With all the families I have worked with, I have held some type of household management responsibilities.  With each job the responsibilities became more and more, but I found I like this role I have assumed over the years.


I have been in my current position for over eight years.  When I started the kids were 8 and 10 years, they are almost 16 and 18 – soon to be headed off to college!  So what does a busy household with two teens, one who now drives, do?  The savvy employer approaches the savvy nanny and the two discuss their mutual needs of the job, the expectations, and the changes and come to the conclusion that what this family needs is not a nanny / household manager but a full-charge Household Manager and “Responsible Adult” around when the teens are at home.  An agreement is reached, a new contract is worked up and both parties continue doing what they do best …. Screeching halt!   After 22 years, I found it VERY difficult to take off the nanny hat.  It was very difficult for me to not remind (or nag as Teen 1 and Teen 2 like to call it) the kids to do their homework and stop being on Facebook or a million other little things I would do for them.  They are 15 and 17.  They can start doing things for themselves, and assume the responsibilities and consequences of their actions.

Click here to read the rest of the article.